So, recently, my amazing in-laws decided to take the kids to give my husband and I a date night. I was so giddy about the thought of alone time and adult conversation that I began dreaming up plans weeks in advance. Now, if you're like me, you don't have a lot of extra money to spend on date nights, which is how I came up with my list. I decided to put together a list of my top 10 favorite date ideas that are free (well, almost free). I thought I would share the list with you in case you need some ideas or inspiration for a date night coming up.
Here is a list of my top 10 dates that are both fun and (almost) FREE!
1. Recreate your first date. If you can, go to the place of your first date, or a place that is similar and do some of the same things you did then. Reminisce about what you remember about that day and what you remember about each other. Your husband can even come to the door to pick you up, and YAY, he gets to stay at the end of the date!!!
2. Go to the local bookstore and do a scavenger hunt. Split up and give yourselves 5 minutes to find a book title that describes you and one that describes your loved one. Meet back and share the book titles you found. *Side note: I still remember the book title my boyfriend (now my husband) found for me on our first date - "Innocent Eyes". (ugh! how sweet is that?!!)
3. Go ice skating. How cute is this? Hold hands and skate around the rink and see if you can't help smiling at how cute y'all are.
4. Second Chance Prom. If you are like me, you didn't get to go to prom with your husband, so throw him a second chance prom. Make an invitation and give it to him, kick him out of the house for a while and get ready. Make his favorite meal, put on some old-school jams, and move the furniture for a "dance floor". Get yourself in a hot little "prom-y" type dress and see if your night isn't crazy memorable!
5. Go to a Drive in Movie. See if you can find a drive in movie close to you and head out with snacks and a blanket to snuggle under. This simple, super cute date is a favorite!
6. Go Play at an Arcade. Play each other in games like Skee ball, Air Hockey, and Ms. Packman and see who can win the most tickets at the end of the night. Decide on a reward for the winner or punishment for the loser. I love any date where I have the chance of giving my husband all of the dish duty for a week! :)
7. Go Camping. Try venturing out into nature with the one you love. Go hiking, kayaking, or fishing and then roast marshmallows while you snuggle by the fire. There aren't many dates more romantic than ones that end holding each other under the stars.
8. Have an at-home theater night. Build a blanket fort or pallet on the floor, make some fancy popcorn and homemade icees and watch a movie you both love!
9. Take a Cooking Class Together. Throw on your cute apron and head to a class to learn how to cook new foods together. Take selfies and pictures of the food as you are making it and put them and the recipe together in a cute scrapbook or picture book as a keepsake/recipe book.
10. Go to the Park. There is so much fun to be had at a park - take a stroll in the park, swing like you did when you were kids, take a leisure bike ride, have a picnic, do an impromptu photo shoot...and when it gets dark, turn on some romantic music in your car, roll down the windows, and dance with your Love under the stars.
There you have it...10 amazing and cheap dates that will not disappoint!